This meal was created on accident, and I am absolutely in love with it. I was throwing together a ton of leftovers with pretty low expectations, but came out with a (dairy-free!) dish that is so creamy and fragrant that I never want to stop eating it.
A few notes before the recipe:
What to do about chicken broth?
Chicken broth has been the bane of my existence since my diet changed. Every store-bought version has bell peppers and/or “spices”, and making soup from scratch on the stove is far too time consuming and presence-requiring than I can handle right now. After some googling, I purchased an instant pot and was extremely pleasantly surprised by a chicken broth that can be made in under an hour. I like this recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/instant-pot-chicken-stock
Even though I’ve gotten some additional veggies back in my diet, I often simplify that recipe down to just the chicken, spices, and water. It’s fast and easy, and I use chicken drumsticks to make it, since they’re cheap and bone-y! Just keep the ratio shown in the recipe (4 cups of water for every pound of chicken) and a 40-minute pressure cook and you’re good to go.
In this recipe I’m using the shredded chicken I had leftover from making the chicken broth, but I’m sure any other shredded chicken you have on hand will work great too!
Capers have a weird reputation- some people love them and some people hate them. I promise, they add such a yummy flavor to the recipe!
I love wilted arugula and I love any opportunity to get more greens into my diet in a more-fun-way than raw, so throwing arugula into this dish was a no-brainer for me. Spinach and baby kale will also do the job nicely, or feel free to not use any greens at all! Really, it’s up to you.
Creamy Dairy-Free Lemon Chicken & Rice
- Pressure Cooker (only if making your own chicken broth- see above)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- .5 jar capers
- 1 lemon
- 4 oz shredded chicken
- white rice
- chicken broth
- black pepper
- other spices as desired
- 1 cup arugula or other green
- Heat pan with high-temperature cooking olive oil, or other type of high-temp cooking oil, to medium-high heat
- Add shredded chicken and spices to pan, move frequently and heat up the chicken
- Add rice to pan, mix well with chicken
- Add chicken broth to pan. Add enough so that the whole bottom surface area of the pan is covered, but not so much that it is just soup
- Add the juice of one lemon to pan
- Add capers
- Bring to a simmer, let the juices be absorbed into the rice
- Add the rest of your desired spices and stir to incorporate
- After most of the juices have been absorbed, add your leafy green (I like arugula, but spinach or baby kale would work wonderfully here too) and stir it into the mixture until it wilts
- Once the green is wilted, remove from heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!