When I was in the process of figuring out what was causing my reactions, my most confusing trigger was bacon. I ate it plain as a snack one afternoon & reacted, and felt like my body was just rebelling against the world. As it turns out, a lot of store-bought bacon has the generic label of “spices” which can lead someone with a spice allergy (as I turned out to have) into the issue of not-having-any-bacon-to-eat. I was really missing the breakfast staple, so my boyfriend and I got creative with some pork belly we found at the store! Although it is not the same as tried-and-true bacon, it does do the trick and fill that craving!
Pork Belly “Bacon”
- Tin Foil
- Baking Sheet
- Pork Belly
- Maple syrup Optional
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Thin-slice pork belly. I found this was easiest with a serrated knife.
- Cover baking sheet with tin foil
- Salt pork belly strips and lay flat on baking sheet
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until crispy.
- Serve with maple syrup and enjoy!